The Ending: The Sound and the Fury

November 7, 2010

We know that the Compson family has lost its honorable place in the Southern high class of society. Caddy is never given the opportunity to speak but her presents and life have affected all the Compson men. She never really did them intentional harm but they were all effected by her due to their own defects. For Benjy, she represents a sense of order, something missing in his life as a retarded man. Quentin is neurotic about his reaction to Caddy’s pregnancy and it drives him to suicide. Jason blames Caddy for his failure to get a job at the bank that Caddy’s husband had promised him because Caddy divorces him. Mr. Compson set the stage for the failure of the Compson men because he constantly tolerated his wife’s self-pity and dependent nature.
In terms of the ending there are no real conclusions to the story. The reader is left wondering what happens next in the characters’ lives. The only person who remains a constant, positive presence is Dilsey. We never find out what happens to Miss Quentin, Jason or Miss Caddy. They only thing that we are sure of is the consistency of Dilsey. As far as we know, she will continue helping the family as she always has done in a true Christian spirit.

7 Responses to “The Ending: The Sound and the Fury”

1.   beverly gross Says:

very good on Dilsey

2.   Priest Says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something too few people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I found this during my search for something relating to this.

3.   raf Says:

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent web site. I stumbledupon it 😉 I’m going to return yet again since I book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

4.   raf modelleri Says:

After looking at a handful of the articles on your blog, I seriously appreciate your technique of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Please visit my website as well and let me know your opinion.

5.   şişme bebek Says:

Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it 😉 I may return once again since I book marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.

6.   şişme bebek Says:

Everything is very open with a really clear clarification of the challenges. It was truly informative. Your site is useful. Thanks for sharing!

7.   San Says:

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe
    that this amazing site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the information!